Saturday, March 14, 2009

Do "what I want" Vs " what make me happy"

Happy to see the new life options, freedom and interesting challenges waiting for our young generation. Many young people I know will have an appealing future in the materialistic measures ; but some of them may not see the beauty of life. Inner beauty is not a thing sensed by some of them.

Some are constrained in to limited life style selected by or imposed on them and would not wish to see the world beyond their pre-defined structure; If you are a programmer , you are a programmer and no need to think why your father look pale and unhealthy these days ; If you are a network guy , you may need not to concern what is going on at IDP camps vauniya these days.I wonder whether the lack of diversity bundled with lack of appreciation for nature and art has make their lives narrow as well as selfish.

In a society where no high-tech communication media was heard about , we brought up with nature, people and books which all contributed to shaped our lives.I can remember I bought "Amma" novel while I was in grade 5. The love for freedom as well as caring for the whole not the individual was in blood of many of us. Our generation later has to reached the adolescence with background of crucial political conflicts in my motherland.We had to spend aimless years, stuck and struggle much to find our path in life. In spite of all the pathetic incidents, there are things which I can still admire about many of my peers; We represented the desire to move forward with whole , while respecting the individualism. We are different from each other, yet collectivity has some value as well.

The amount of focus on individualism by our young generation is shocking. "I want to achive what I want at any cost" is the motto of some of them. The "right" comes first with little attention to "duty". The "right" to be "myself" but not "right" of the society as a whole. It is great to see the courage and the confidence of them. But where have gone the youth who dream about a better society where everybody gain something , who does not hesitate to make a self-sacrifice and go out of the way to help others ,who holds a big heart to offer kindness and caring ? When people go old, it is said that many of these qualities vanishes. But when these qualities die at very young age, what would happen to them when they grow old?At age of 19 , somebody can declare that he want to stay rest of his life abroad and will not bother about what does it meant to his family. Of course what you want to do has to be decided by you-but can anybody decide everything completely neglecting social factors and considering himself only as an individual?

I wonder whether we can try out another option as well when deciding our life ; do what we want instead of do what make us happy . Doing what make you happy need you to analyze yourself and see what really make you happy. Then comes the problem of sensing what make us really happy. By accumulating or by giving, by being rigid or being flexible , being selfish or being kind ?After a careful analysis we might found that at least some things which have demanded by us as "need do do" may not actually make us happy or make our hearts lighter in the long run.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Other side of me

Sri Lanka
I am a person with varied interests from technical stuff, writings,teaching,emotional aspects to community well being.The way I brought up, my childhood full of love and caring and and life long friends are the best part of my world. I am not aimed at changing the world, but making it better.This blog is my on-line space to express my emotions and feelings, simply the "other -side- of me". Technical matters are covered in my technical blog whenever possible.